Valentine's Pink/Purple Cauliflower Soup
Love is in the air! Hmmm...or is that the smell of soup? If you're looking for a way to show that special someone (or someones: mom, dad, siblings, husband, girlfriend, great aunt twice removed?) how much they mean to you, ditch the sweets in favor of this totally healthy and shockingly colored culinary delight. Purple cauliflower soup (with this amazing recipe from http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com), will surely wow your loved ones and be a memorable dish (without any guilt!)
- 1 head purple cauliflower remove tough stem/leaves, break into pieces
- 1 medium russet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water from boiling veggies
- 1 cup soy creamer unflavored
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 medium shallot sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil for sauté
- 2-3 tbsp apple cide vinegar
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch papirka
- ¼ tsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp pink salt
- Saute the sliced shallots in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until caramelized. Set aside.
- Boil a pot of salted water. Add the cauliflower in pieces - and add the peeled/chopped potato. Cook until tender (do not over cook). Drain water - reserve at least 1 cup. (Yes the water will be blue)
- Add the cauliflower, potato, shallots (and oil from shallots), soy creamer, spices, maple syrup and salt. Do not add the vinegar yet. Blend on medium in a Vitamix or food processor until smooth.
- Add in the vinegar. You will watch the color intensify to a pinkish tone. Blend on low. Do a taste test and add in more pink salt if needed.
- Your soup will be warm enough to serve right away. Or store in fridge and reheat.
(photo and recipe credit: kblog.lunchbox.com)